Thursday, January 19, 2012

Emi's SIMPLE Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce

Last night, I was running late at work, my wife was sick and my kids hungry. My darling 12 year old daughter calls and asks if she can make dinner. No problem, so she made a spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce. I tell you it was so good that there were no leftovers for lunch today! To anybody who tells me that they can't cook I say you don't want to. If my 12 year old can make a pasta that would cost $20 in any restaurant so can you. Oh, by the way, she also made a homemade Caesarish type salad dressing that I will post after this. She has not cooked by herself before but she watches when we cook and sometimes she helps out, but on her own like this was prety impressive.


Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Onion finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic crushed and finely chopped
1 Can GOOD QUALITY Italian Tomatoes (don't skimp and buy noname, pay the extra $1)
Good pinch of Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Italian Spices

THAT'S IT! - Good olive oil (and don't be shy and try to use only a tablespoon) and good canned tomatoes. That is the only secret to a good tomato sauce. You will be surprised.

Preparation:
I a large saucepan, medium heat, add olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft and golden. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Don't let the garlic burn. Add the can of tomatoes and their juice. Let cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. With a large fork, crush the tomatoes down to a pulp until smooth and no chunks. Add salt and spices stir and let cook for as long as you can on medium-low heat. The longer it cooks the better, thickens and flavors meld but after a 1/2 hour it's ready to eat.

Serve on spaghetti or your favorite pasta, top with some grated parmigiana and tell me its not great! If the 12 year old can do it so can anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment