Monday, February 22, 2010

Grocery Bill - Sunday February 21, 2010

We really did not need too much this week, just the basics of fruits, veggies, milk, juice and snacks. I was at about $80 but the grocery store was offering $10 off for any order of of $100 or over. So I bought 2 pork roasts ($7 each) that were on special as well as some Italian sausages (pack of 12) that were on special for $6.00. Brought me to $102 less $10, so $92.00 for the week. This also included some hosehold items like dish soap, toilet paper and paper towels. I think we really have this down habit now. There is truly NO PROBLEM in keeping our bills within budget. It is all about choosing and buying the deals and not being in love with something regardless of price. For example today Macintosh apples were $.69/lb and Granny Smith were $1.79. Guess what we bought? Green and Red Peppers were $3.99/lb but greenhouse tomatoes were $$.99/lb. We will have tomato salads this week and no peppers.

Our Sunday dinner was a slow cooked tomato sauce on spaghetti with a deboned chicken stuffed with Italian sausauge. I defrosted a whole chicken on Saturday and deboned it. Stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage and chopped chicken left over from the deboning. Slow roasted for 3 hours plenty of leftovers for lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete,

    I just saw one of your posts on the Ottawa Citizen. I commend you on your ability to feed your family on a limited budget. I know it is not easy.

    I just wanted you to know that I found this site http://www.soscuisine.com. They have the ability to generate menus based on sales in your local area. They also have $1/serving menus.

    Maybe they can help you with your meal planning.

    ReplyDelete