Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Too much of everything!

You know one of the things that I keep finding since I have been paying attention to the our food costs, is that we, society in general, really have no idea of what we put in our mouths day after day. I was looking at our Tropicana orange juice this morning and see 120 calories a serving. The serving size is 250 ml (one cup). I then, of course I did, took my measuring cup and filled up one of our drinking glasses. You knows what? 3 cups fit in one of our glasses! 1 glass of orange juice is 360 calories!!!! According to pediatrics.about.com my kids need between 1400 and 1800 calories a day. So drink a couple of glasses of juice a day and they've had 1/2 their daily intake of calories?????? And this is pure, fresh, 100% orange juice. What about when they go to their friends house and have a glass or 2 of the pure sugar crap?

Then I'm sitting here reading an article about sodium intake on canada.com about how the daily sodium intake in some kids food is equal to that of 2 servings of fries at Mcdonalds.

Want to improve your health, lose weight, not have heart attacks? Stop buying anything premade, understand a serving size (hard for me, believe me) and start making simple meals with ingredients you control.

Btw you will save money too!

That's my rant for this evening, I'm gonna go make my dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment